Arriving from the Refugee Camp in Thailand

Arriving from the Refugee Camp in Thailand
The Mying Mying family

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Update from Jill

Exciting news! Ah Mee got a job and starts tonight. She is working at a hospital from 10 p.m. - 6 a.m. From what I understand she used to be an eye doctor but she probably isn't doing that here yet. But the job is a good start and a little faster than I thought it would be.

The kids are all in school and spend part of their day learning English. They get a bit confused by all the Spanish-speaking students but I said it won't hurt them to learn a little Spanish either. Po Lone told me he learned a little Japanese while in the camp when we were looking for other languages we each spoke. I said it was good to be able to speak a variety of languages and encouraged him to always continue with Burmese even when he spoke English more. He has a book that shows some writing from about 20 different languages. He showed me and I was confused a moment because it was a Bible but he said they are still Buddhist. One just never knows what they will encounter when working with the families. I think it's fun!

No comments: