Arriving from the Refugee Camp in Thailand

Arriving from the Refugee Camp in Thailand
The Mying Mying family

Saturday, July 17, 2010

July Update from Jill

The Mying Mying family is doing pretty well. We had the problem today of them getting a piece of mail and not knowing what to do with it. I am pretty good at solving mail-related problems so I was happy to help. There was a problem with Mu Doh Paw's insurance. The hardest part of the whole thing was getting them to realize I needed to see her insurance card as a copy had to be sent in with a form. That took quite a bit of explaining and showing my own card, but then Mying Mying figured out I needed the card and got it. It was just 1 number wrong. The second hardest part was finding a place to copy the card but eventually that was done, too.

In getting the card they showed me some other paperwork, and I learned they were registered as refugees in 2005. Compared to NoSa Lam, it wasn't that long ago, but how traumatic it must have been to have to leave your country. It turns out there also is another living sibling but I do not know if she is still in camp or in another state. They frequently ask me about Omaha, so I believe someone important is there but our exchanges don't allow me lots of questions still with the language difference. My vocabulary list of Karen is progressing but is only words. They have taken to telling me how to say a lot of the things in Karen that we see in workbooks, etc., that I say in English. It helps me feel a little more connected.

The experience is wonderful and I enjoy the hugs from the younger children and look forward to my visits.

No comments: