Arriving from the Refugee Camp in Thailand

Arriving from the Refugee Camp in Thailand
The Mying Mying family

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Jill's February Update

I thought since we were embarking on a new adventure that I could briefly update a somewhat open entry from last fall, just in case anyone was reading. In fall 2010, I was going to help a former Burmese refugee whose wife was a refugee in Malaysia get her to come to the U.S.A. I had little idea of where to start and at first I didn't have any luck.
Then I emailed the International Office of Migration which was actually able to give me a date of when she was coming! He had had many false hopes but we felt very confident when the IOM gave us a date. Unfortunately, Lutheran Social Services wasn't the sponsor for her so I wasn't able to be her volunteer helper.
She came just after Thanksgiving. Her husband rented an apartment and the two of them have been starting a new life together after being separated for many years. I finally met her in late January and she speaks some English and is a lovely woman.
We also had a family move away from Grace but before they did they were kind enough to inquire if the refugees we help needed any furniture. They donated a high chair to the family with a baby, and the family put it right to use. So the spirit of Grace has continued to help these people even after they have been in Arizona awhile. We look forward to the next family we are able to meet.

No comments: