Arriving from the Refugee Camp in Thailand

Arriving from the Refugee Camp in Thailand
The Mying Mying family

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

June 5 Update From Jill

Hello!
Another successful visit with the family!
Maung Say is attending church on Sundays now. It is in the Karen language and he is very happy to be able to go. We practiced saying "church" in English as the end of the word is so important for us to hear in English and in many other languages the ending is softened. Of course, good ol' English, the "ch" in "Christ" does not have the same sound so we went over that too as he asked. He wasn't able to tell me where the church is as he is still learning the roads.
I brought them a barrel of monkeys game which proved to be very popular and May Paw was particularly good at it. Some neighbor children came over and also enjoyed it. Their case manager, Win, has introduced them to other Karen families in the complex and I could tell they were enjoying the company.
I will be slightly altering the time of my visits going forward to allow them enough time to get back from church in case they all attend. I have learned how to say "Sunday" in Karen. The last family said "Sunday" differently but I think I have this one down already. It sounds like "oh bween nee". It means "break day". All the other days mean 1st day, 2nd day, 4th day, etc. It makes sense now that this has been explained to me.

No comments: